Mackville was a town about a mile north of where Atwood is today and was founded in 1836. People started settling here near the Lake Fork River, a slow moving stream that runs north and south through the area. One of the earliest settlers was a man named "Buckskin Joe" Moore. A fellow named Mr. McNutt rented a house from "Buckskin Joe" and opened a store. More people and businesses settled here and Mackville was formed. A tale was told that the name of this town might have been called "Lickskillet". The story goes that a man was on his way to the store and stopped to visit a neighbor on his journey. Just as he approached the neighbor, the housewife put out a skillet of gravy for the dogs to lick. Word of this story got around and some thought the name of the town should be called "Lickskillet".
As the railroads emerged through the area, railroad tracks were laid a mile south of Mackville, to a place people called "at the woods" because it was a heavily wooded area. This is how Atwood got its name. Eventually the Mackville residents seen the advantages of the railroads and moved their homes and businesses to Atwood. Atwood was formed in 1873.
The only thing left of Mackville today is a cemetery. Mackville is gone, but not forgotten; and that is how we came up with the name of our band, Mackville !
A humorous side note:
We are all from the Atwood area except Mike and Pam Waddell who are from Charleston, Illinois. We like to tease Mike about not being from Atwood. We say that Mike would not be allowed to move to Atwood because they have a village ordinance banning banjo players. While we all know this part of the story is not true, the truth is that banjo players often seem to be the blunt of a good joke or story!